This weekend, my mother and father took me to a special exhibit about Marie Antoinette in the Palace of the Legion of Honor in San Francisco. The exhibit shattered many preconceptions I had about Marie Antoinette.
Here are some things that I learned during the exhibit:
1. Marie Antoinette’s actual name was Maria Antonia Josefa Johanna von Habsburg-Lothringen.
2. Marie Antoinette was quite homely.
3. The Palace of the Legion of Honor and the Palace of Fine Arts are two separate places in San Francisco. They are nowhere near each other. If you arrange to meet somebody at one of the palaces, but show up at the wrong one, you will experience humiliating shame.
6. To get away from the suffocating splendor of Versailles, Marie Antoinette built a suffocating splendid outbuilding in her yard.
6. Marie Antoinette enjoyed pastries. She had a pug, and many shoes.